Breeders Assistant is supplied in a number of versions for different animal types. E.g. there is Breeders Assistant for Cats, Breeders Assistant for Dogs, etc. There are 8 versions for specific animal types: birds, cats, cavies (guinea pigs), dogs, hamsters, horses, rabbits & rats. There is also a 'Generic' version which is not animal-specific and can be used for any other animal type.
Separately, each version is available in three editions: Personal, Professional and Commercial.
When you buy a full copy of Breeders Assistant you select both the version and edition you need. E.g. if you are a dog breeder you might choose Breeders Assistant for Dogs, Professional Edition.
The Personal Edition is the 'entry level' product. Approximately half of our Breeders Assistant customers use this edition.
It includes most of the features described on this site but not all. If you are a breeder and you are considering Breeders Assistant as a product to store your key breeding records - the animals - and print pedigrees, but not a lot else, then the Personal Edition is probably all you need. We could list all the features that it provides but this would be a very long list. It is easier to describe the differences between the Personal and Professional/Commercial Editions:
- The software must be licensed into a personal name, which is normally your name in the way that you would put it on a pedigree. It may not be a non-personal name, such as breeding name or a club/organization. There is a separate area on pedigrees for the breeder logo. The license name will appear as part of a small line of text near the bottom of printed documents, including pedigrees.
- Databases are limited to at most 75,000 records of each type, per database. So a single database can contain at most 75,000 animals, 75,000 contacts, etc. You can have as many different databases as you like, but animals can only link to each other (as in pedigrees) when they are stored within the same database. Most customers operate a single database. The likeliest reason for using multiple databases is to keep different breeds separate.
- Apart from inbreeding calculations, which are included with all Editions, the Personal Edition does not include any of the advanced genetics features of the Professional Edition (see below).
- The Personal Edition does not include multi-tagging, similarity serarching, doublet detection, user defined ancestor highlights, or ancestor inbreeding highlighting within pedigrees. For these features you need the Professional Edition (see below).
- With the Personal Edition HTML pedigrees do not include photos or title highlighting. Note however that you can always use image pedigrees for web site use.
This is intended for non-commercial use, typically by breed clubs and other organizations and more serious breeders for whom the Personal Edition is not enough.
The Professional Edition includes all features of the product. The only difference between it and the Commercial Edition is a licensing difference (see below).
The specific extensions that the Professional Edition has over the Personal Edition are:
- The licence name for Professional Edition customers need not be a personal name. E.g. it can be an organization name or breeding name, prefix, affix, cattery name etc.
- The database record limit is 1,000,000 records of each type, per database.
- It supports similarity searching. Useful for example if you need to search your database for animals with a name similar to one you enter.
- Doublet tagging - the Pro Edition can tag adjacent records in a list sorted on a given field. Useful for example if you need to find animals the share the same registration number.
- The Pro Edition supports multi-tagging. This feature lets you define up to 8 different tags for each record type (animals, contacts, etc.). Each tag has a name and symbol. You can then assign tags to individual records, either manually or as a side effect of another operation such as an ancestor/descendant search, a database inconsistency check (things like animals recorded as being born before their parents etc), or a similarity search. Once tagged you can quickly browse the tagged records e.g. for review.
- It includes some advanced genetics analysis features. Whilst all editions of Breeders Assistant include fields for recording various classes of genotype information - breed, disease etc. - with the Pro Edition most Breeders Assistant versions are supplied with appropriate genetic configurations that allow a friendlier form of input. E.g. cat and dog breeders can select the 'D' gene (blue dilution) using a friendly pull-down menu:
Genotype & Phenotype Prediction let you predict inherited colors and congenital diseases based on the stated genotypes of parents. Predictions can be included in trial mating pedigrees and mating certificates1. It can also detect when the genotype of an individual is inconsistent with that of its parents. Inheritance Probability Analysis lets you predict whether an individual will inherit a given gene, or the probable 'value' for a polygenic trait, based on the prevalence of the gene in its ancestors. Gene Frequency Analysis lets you analyse the distribution of different alleles over a set of individuals. For further information see Advanced Genetics.
- The Pro Edition has user definable ancestor highlights, and ancestor inbreeding can be highlighted within pedigrees.
- HTML pedigrees may include photos and title highlighting.
The Commercial Edition has exactly the same feature set as the Professional Edition, but relaxes the licence conditions to permit certain commercial use. Specifically, you may exploit the product for commercial gain of any printed output generated by it e.g. to run a pedigree service bureau.
1. Mating certificates are only available with the Cat and Dog versions of Breeders Assistant.