GedScape Gold GEDCOM Viewer and Website Publisher
GedScape Gold is software for browsing GEDCOM files and exporting web sites.
GedScape Gold runs on the Mac, and is obtained through the Mac App Store. A free trial can be downloaded here.
- Easily view individuals and families, including photos, citations and notes with a simple, intuitive browser-style interface.
- Simply drag a GEDCOM file, drop it onto GedScape Gold, and immediately you can browse a fully indexed family tree.
- Its incredibly fast allowing you to rapidly view GEDCOM's without having to create other database files on your computer or load into your existing genealogy software.
- View indexes of individuals, dates & places, charts including pedigrees, family charts, descendants charts.
- Display summary tables of individuals with links to their individual records (e.g. sample 1 and sample 2)
- View image gallery of all photos.
- Browse the low-level structure of a GEDCOM file (i.e. at the tag level) but with hyperlinks to move within the file.
- Generate powerful GEDCOM web sites with all the display features of GedScape Gold itself (i.e., its an GEDCOM to HTML converter). To see an example of such a web site, click here.
- Selectively exclude or 'privatize' chosen data/individuals from conversion/extraction or website generation, e.g. to remove specific individuals (and/or their ancestors/descendants), or to exclude individuals based on their date of birth so as to remove living people.
- Supports the entire GEDCOM v5.5.1 specification so you can display all valid data.
The full version of GedScape Gold is available exclusively through the Mac App Store. But you can download a free 30 day trial from this site.
GedScape Gold generates powerful websites from GEDCOM files. Whether you use it as a standalone GEDCOM viewer/browser or as a convenient tool to export GEDCOM files as HTML, a near identical user interface is used. A comprehensive user guide is included. If you have any questions just contact us. To be kept informed of updates and changes to GedScape Gold please join our mailing list.
Please note, GedScape Gold is not a genealogy database program i.e. this is not software you can use to key in and build up a family tree or genealogy database. For that, we suggest you google for "genealogy software" and take your pick. GedScape Gold is a utility for easily displaying, converting, extracting and generating web sites from existing GEDCOM files.
- You're a genealogy researcher and you need a quick and easy way to browse GED files without the hassle of importing them into your existing genealogy database
- GedScape Gold is a great GEDCOM browser, just drop the GEDCOM files onto GedScape Gold and they immediately display using a browser-like display.
- You want to create a family tree website and your existing genealogy program isn't up to the job
- export a GEDCOM from your genealogy database, open that in GedScape Gold, adjust preferences to get the appearance you would like in your GEDCOM website, export from GedScape Gold as a web site (thereby creating GEDCOM HTML files), then upload the HTML files to your web server.
Paid vs. Free Trial
GedScape Gold is available as both a 30 day Free trial and a Paid version. As you would expect, the Paid version has some advantages over the free trial:
- It will open GEDCOM files of any size (the Free version is limited to 2,500 individuals)
- Export is enabled
- You can print any page
- Access support and updates
To test any of the features of the full version but using the free trial, run GedScape Gold and choose Open Sample GEDCOM from the File menu. (The sample GEDCOM provided has all the full features enabled, even if you only have the free trial).
The GEDCOM file format is the de facto standard for exchanging genealogy data. All good genealogy database programs can generate GEDCOM files. The GEDCOM standard is defined by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.