Pedigree Assistant - Pedigrees
Pedigree Assistant can produce many different styles of high quality pedigree certificates. They can be customized in many ways to suit your needs e.g. to include different fields, change colors, fonts, include watermarks, photos etc.:
- Choose between 3 and 8 generations of ancestors.
- Include photos and watermarks.
- Choose from many different pedigree layouts - e.g. whether to include the signature line, whether to have a separate photo box, whether to include a breeder logo area, etc.
- Customize the colors and fonts used throughout the pedigree.
- Highlight ancestors, e.g. common or repeat ancestors.
- Choose the fields that are displayed, separately for the subject animal and each ancestor generation individually.
- Emphasize titled animals e.g. to have Champions in red.
- Include calligraphic text for common wordings such as 'Pedigree', 'Pedigree Certificate' etc.
- Include artistic borders and corners.
- Choose between several styles of ancestors table.
- Use sideways-on text for some ancestor generations - useful for squeezing a 5 or even 6 generation pedigree onto portrait A4/Letter paper.
- Print portrait or landscape on any size of paper with advanced printer support e.g. for manual tray loading, special papers etc.
- Save pedigrees as PDF files rather than printing them.
- Save printed pedigrees as images (PNG or JPEG) - e.g. for use on a website or to embed in an external document.
- Print pedigree cover sheets for folded pedigrees.
Photos and Watermarks
There are two ways to incorporate photos (JPEG format).
A picture box can be included in the top right of the pedigree to display the subject animal's photo. Simply store the JPEG file name in the animal's record. The photo will then automatically appear in pedigrees that include a picture box.
A watermark image can also be used - as the pedigree background. The watermark needs to be faded sufficiently to avoid it obscuring the pedigree that appears on top. Pedigree Assistant can fade the images - just enter a fade percentage and the software does it automatically.
There are several options for controlling watermarks, including:
- Setting them separately for each different pedigree
- Using either a fixed image file (e.g. a breed study), or linking them to the animal's own photo.
- Control the watermark alignment, tiling, fading, position and magnification.
Borders and Corners
Decorative edges and corners can be incorporated in two different ways:
- Around the edge of the printed paper - as in many of the examples on this page.
- And/or, individually around each box within a pedigree. E.g. to include custom edging above and below the heading box.
Pedigree Assistant is supplied with a range of standard styles, including various sample graphics and motifs. All the decorative border and corners used in the examples shown on this web page are included with the software, e.g.:
When setting up a border it is possible to individually control each corner and side of the area being framed - be it the whole page or a box within the page.
For the edges choose between various line styles or you might use a tiled graphic - e.g. to have paw prints running round all edges. Use of classic decorative borders with pedigree certificates gives a very professional result. Pedigree Assistant is supplied with a range of ready-made 'Copperplate' pedigree layouts that include decorative borders in conjunction with calligraphic text to create superb printed certificates.
Calligraphic text can be used in pedigree headings to give that true 'certificate' appearance. Calligraphic writing is included in a wide range of typefaces for the words 'Pedigree Certificate' or 'Pedigree'. These can be printed at any size.
Many different typefaces are included.
Pedigree Assistant can be easily configured to save pedigrees as PDF rather than printing to a physical printer device. Simply set the printer configuration to use the Microsoft Print to PDF facility.
Setting up PDF printing is one of many topics demonstrated in the 'First Steps' tutorial.
Pedigree Cover Sheets
PA can print the front page or 'cover sheet' of a folded pedigree. Simply print the pedigree itself on one side, the cover sheet on the other side, then fold the whole thing in half like a booklet.
Several styles of cover sheet are included; these may be customized or new ones added.
Cover sheets can include photos (both varying from animal to animal, or a fixed photo), watermarks, customized choice of fields, colors etc.
Saving as JPEG/PNG
Instead of printing a pedigree it can be saved as a JPEG or PNG image file. Pedigrees saved as images can be embedded in documents, included on websites or email.