The Extended Edition is the premium edition of Breeders Assistant, with all features enabled. It extends the Professional Edition in the following ways:
- The license permits certain commercial use, in particular the sale of printed output from the product such as pedigrees e.g. to run a pedigree service bureau.
- It is possible to have the 'tag line' that appears beneath printed pedigrees removed1.
- It includes a suite of advanced population genetics tools including (a) the means to prioritize prospective matings according to the inbreeding that would result, or for/against the kinship influence of specific individuals, or according to a variety of gene diversity metrics including mean kinship, and (b) the means to compute a range of population genetics metrics for a breeding pool including: i. mean kinships; ii. ancestral inbreeding (the cumulative proportion of an individual's genome that has been previously exposed to inbreeding in its ancestors)2; iii. genome uniqueness (an estimation of the probability that an individual contains founder alleles not present in any other single (normally) individual within the set of individuals under consideration); iv. the pedigree completeness index (a measure of the completeness of the pedigree3); v. the number of founder equivalents, founder genome equivalents4; vi. the number of effective ancestors5.
- Auto-increment can be set on some text fields, in order to assign a unique value to the field each time a new record is added. Useful if it is required to have a field such as the registration number automatically assigned an incrementing value.
- There is an additional database inconsistency detection test to find records with duplicate text field values.
- There is a database inconsistency detection check to find groups of similarly named animals across the entire database.
- The <InbreedingCoefficient> output field supports a selector (14) which evaluates to the pedigree completeness index (PCI) expressed to the same precision as the inbreeding coefficient.
The Extended Edition was previously called the 'Commercial' Edition in earlier releases of Breeders Assistant.
There are several videos on this site that demonstrate the advanced population genetics features of the Extended Edition:
|Inbreeding||How to display inbreeding, fix 'self-parenting' errors (circularities), and introduces how the Extended Edition can compute inbreeding in bulk and find prospective matings to minimize offspring inbreeding.|
|Extended Edition: Test Data And How To Define The Breeding Pool||Introduces the test data set used in the Extended Edition population genetics videos, and shows how to set up a 'breeding pool'.|
|Extended Edition: Ranking Prospective Matings In Depth||In depth introduction of the various ways the Extended Edition can be used to rank prospective matings.|
|Extended Edition: Measures Of Genetic Diversity In Depth||In depth introduction to the various advanced population genetics reports of the Extended Edition.|
|Extended Edition: How To Choose Prospective Matings To Minimize Inbreeding||How to use the Extended Edition to rank prospective matings to minimize inbreeding in the offspring, and how to display mate rankings as a colour coded grid.|
|Extended Edition: How To Choose Prospective Matings Using Influential Individuals||How to use the Extended Edition to rank prospective matings according to the influence (kinship) of specific individuals.|
|Extended Edition: How To Choose Prospective Matings Using Mean Kinship And Other Gene Diversity Metrics||How to use the Extended Edition to rank prospective matings using mean kinship and other measures of genetic diversity.|
|Extended Edition: Bulk Computation of Inbreeding, Genome Uniqueness and Pedigree Completeness||How to compute inbreeding, genome uniqueness and pedigree completeness in bulk, using the Extended Edition.|
|Extended Edition: How To Display A Kinship Matrix||How to display a kinship/relationship matrix, using the Extended Edition.|
|Extended Edition: How To Compute Mean Kinships||How to compute mean kinships for the breeding pool, using the Extended Edition.|
|Extended Edition: Founder Analysis - How To Compute Founder Equivalents, Contributions And Related Metrics||How to analyse founder contributions and compute founder equivalents, using the Extended Edition.|
For a full list of available videos click here.
1. Needs a special installation code from Tenset; these codes are issued to Extended Edition customers upon request.
2. Computed using the method of Ballou, JD. ("Ancestral Inbreeding Only Minimally Affects Inbreeding Depression in Mammalian Populations", Journal of Heredity 1997, 8:169-178).
3. Computed using the method of MacCluer et al ("Inbreeding and Pedigree Structure in Standardbreed Horses", Journal of Heredity 1983, 74:394-399).
4. Computed using the method of Lacy, RC. ("Analysis of founder representation in pedigrees: Founder equivalents and founder genome equivalents". Zoo Biology 8:111-124, 1989.)
5. Computed using the method of Boichard, D, Maignel L, and Verrier, E. ("The value of using probabilities of gene origin to measure genetic variability in a population". Genetics Selection Evolution, 1997; 29(1): 5-23.)